Chicken and Black Beans with Chorizo
Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders
1/2 cup sherry
1/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons paprika (hot or sweet)
1 teaspoon sweet pimenton
1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
1 tablespoon thinly sliced garlic plus 1/4 cup minced
5 tablespoons chooped fresh oregano leaves
One 3-4 pound whole chicken, halved, with the wishbone, backbone, and first 2 digits removed
1 teaspoons freshly ground white pepper
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
8 ounces firm Spanish chorizo, cut into 1/4 inch thick half moons
2 cups finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1 teaspoon dried Mexican or regular oregano, crumbled between your fingers
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 cups seeded and small diced ripe tomatoes
3 15-ounces cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/4 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
1. To make the marinade, place the sherry in a small mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in 1/3 cup of the olive oil, then stir in the paprika, pimenton, sliced onion, sliced garlic, and 3 tablespoons of the fresh oregano.
2. Place the chicken in a resealable 1-gallon plastic food storage bag. Pour the sherry marinade over the chicken and squeeze out as much air as possible before sealing the bag. Gently move the chicken around in the marinade to make sure it is well coated. Place the plastic bag with the chicken on a small baking sheet and transfer to the refrigerator the marinate for about 4 hours, turning once midway.
3. Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Discard the marinade. Season the chicken on both sides with the white pepper and 1 Tablespoon of the salt. Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
4. Heat the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a large Dutch oven or a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken, skin side down, until the skin is nicely browned and develops a crust, about 3 minutes. Cook the other side until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside, loosely covered with foil.
5. Reduce the heat to medium and add the chorizo. Cook until crisped and brown , stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the pot and set aside. Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, minced garlic, dried oregano, crushed red pepper, and a pinch of salt and cook until caramelized, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes release the juices. Stir in the reserved chorizo, the beans, stock, and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
6. Carefully transfer the mixture to a 2- to 3-inch deep 3 1/2 to 4 quart dish. Place the chicken halves skin side up on top of the beans and transfer to the oven. Bake, uncovered, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, 45 to 60 minutes. If necessary, tent with foul to prevent further browning. Set the dish aside to rest for about 15 minutes before serving.
7. Cut the chicken into pieces and serve over black beans. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano.